While many other ski destinations begin to wrap up their season in March, the skiing in Banff National Park is still going strong! With one of the longest ski seasons in the world, the Canmore area attracts snow-lovers from all corners. As the weather warms up, enjoy the extended daylight and hit the slopes for some late-season skiing near Canmore.
Reasons to Visit Canadian Rockies in Spring
Although the deep winter months and the summertime are the top tourist seasons, there is magic to be found in the Canadian Rockies during the spring as well.
- With spring comes milder temperatures. While you’re out on the slopes, you can leave behind the heavy jackets and enjoy the mobility your lighter-weight clothing provides while you’re shooting down the mountain. You also won’t need to pause to head into the lodge and warm up as often!
- While you spend all morning hitting the powder, you can spend your afternoon hours indulging in some warm-weather activities! The lower elevation trails begin to open up for coss-country mountain biking and hiking. As some of the lakes begin to open up, you can also head out in your canoe or kayak for some fishing and relaxation.
- The springtime also sees wildlife become more active again at the lower elevations. From elk to bear to moose, you’ll be able to catch glimpses of nature coming back to life while you’re hitting up the ski slopes!
Benefits to Skiing in March
There are plenty of reasons to visit Canmore in the springtime, but the spring skiing also has many draws.
- In March, the slopes are always accessible and ready for skiers and snowboarders.
- One of the most welcome signs of spring is longer daylight hours which translate into more sunshine. As daylight lasts further into the evening, the ski lifts are open later! Many resorts begin to lengthen their lift hours during March. Snow-lovers can enjoy as many hours as possible on the slopes.
- From March to May, the resorts in the Banff area tend to attract only the most avid of skiers. With the major tourist rush slowing down, you can avoid the crowds and enjoy pushing yourself to new heights.
- Because the major tourism rush is over, many of the local outfitters begin holding their late-season sales! From rentals, discounted lift tickets, and bargains on equipment, the March ski season is a cost-friendly time to head to the slopes!
Where to Ski
As always, we are proud to promote the ski resorts in our area! If you’ve been to the area (or even if you haven’t), you’ll have heard of the Big 3!
- Banff Sunshine: Nestled in the middle of Banff National Park, Banff Sunshine is made up of 3,300 acres to explore on your skis. Its location, out of view of all civilization aside from the resort, makes you feel like you’re truly isolated in the mountains.
- Lake Louise Ski Resort: Lake Louise’s ski resort was voted the No. 1 Ski Resort in Canada at the 2019 World Ski Awards. With over 145 ski runs spanning 4,200 acres, the terrain and accessibility attracts skiers from around the world.
- Mt. Norquay: A much smaller, more intimate resort, Mt. Norquay has been the training home of Olympic and World Cup athletes. A favourite among locals and families, Mt. Norquay is a hidden secret that the area likes to keep to itself.
Spring is just around the corner! We all look forward to the arrival of spring. With warming temperatures, lengthier days, and melting snow, take advantage of the longest non-glacial ski season in North America. A visit to Canmore is the perfect way to enjoy the waking of nature while still embracing the benefits of the Canadian Rockies during the winter! Less congested ski runs and the ability to enjoy your aprés outdoors on a sunny patio after your time in the mountains gives you the best of both worlds!
To find your springtime vacation rental or to look for properties to invest in, reach out to Canmore Real Estate Company! We are your go-to agency to discover hidden properties, local ski gems, and the best agents to help you book your property. Devin Stephens, a seasoned real estate agent, is your go-to guide on all things Canmore. Contact Devin at 403.688.7769 or reach out via email at email@example.com.